Chundukwa River Lodge – Tranquility on the Upper Zambezi River
A peaceful haven surrounded by wildlife
Find restful peace and solitude amidst water, reeds and birdsong. Located 37km up-river from Victoria Falls and the bustle of Livingstone, Chundukwa River Lodge feels more like a safari experience. An oasis of peace, it’s the perfect place to begin an African wildlife adventure or dust-off post safari.
Game viewing and attractions
Elephants and hippos frequent the dams adjacent to the chalets. Birders may be rewarded with sightings of African Finfoot, Schalow’s Turaco and twinspot – there are over 450 recorded bird species. On the Chundukwa sunset river cruise, sightings of hippo and crocodile are common. White rhino can be seen at adjacent Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park. Big 5 Game drives at Chobe Game Reserve in Botswana are within an hours reach and offer combined water and vehicle safaris – predators are numerous and cat sightings common.
Victoria Falls lies 35 minutes away by vehicle. Helicopter tours, white water rafting, jet boat rides and bungy-jumping are highlights of the many adrenaline infused activities. Livingstone Island picnics or a dip in the Devil’s Armchair are top attractions when the river is low (August to December).
Five open-fronted stilted chalets with uninterrupted river views, mosquito nets and fans. Three of the chalets are fully en-suite the remaining two are connected to a private annex bathroom via a short wooden walkway – rustic bush style. Honeymooners will appreciate the private sun/dining deck attached to the Honeyguide Chalet.
Ideal for families with young kids the 3-bedroomed Chundu cottage features two bathrooms, a dining deck, plunge pool and great river views. Cottage rates include your own unobtrusive chef and butler.
- 40mins drive from Livingstone international, 1km through bush on dirt road
- Lusaka fly in with proflight 20-30 seater plane – 1.5 hrs $360 return
- Bus from Lusaka 6-7 hours $20 see genuine Zambian life
- 37km upstream of Victoria Falls on the Zambian side
- 10km from Mosy-O-Tunya Park
- 50km to Chobe Game Reserve – 1hr drive (boat crossing)
Relax by the cool waters of the Zambezi with a good book. Sit round the boma and listen to hippos grunt with silence broken only by the trickle of water and surrounding wildlife. Meals are served in the main lodge or at adjoining tables by the riverside.The honeymoon suite has it’s own deck – perfect to de-stress and let go of modern life’s pressures. Families will enjoy the privacy and comfort of the cottage – but guests are always welcome at the main lodge for company – or to plan activities by tapping into John and Lizanne’s deep knowledge of the area.See rates and factsheet
Who it's for
- Wildlife lovers
- Families (staying in the cottage) age limit of 10 yrs for main chalets
- Those seeking an authentic Zambia experience
- Holistic retreat lovers
- Birding 450+ species in and around Chundukwa
- Sunset cruise – comfortable stable boat
- Big 5 game viewing in Chobe National Park
- Horse riding safaris
- White rhino walking safari in Mosi-Oa-Tunya National Park
- Picnics on neighbouring Chundu Island’s white sand beaches
- Victoria Falls Tour
- White water rafting
- Jet boat tour
- Helicopter tour (30 mins recommended)
- Explore Livingstone Island (June – July – August)
- Devil’s Armchair (Sept – November)
- And more … view Livingstone Tourism website
Good combined with...
- “Fantastic, relaxing place to base yourself for Victoria Falls” Reviewed 25 November 2012~ Barrie 66, Esher UKSuch a lovely amazing place. Where to start...? Lizanne and John made us feel very welcome throughout our stay and gave us lots of great advice on places to visit, even organising trips for us such as the visit to the Falls and swimming in the Devil's pool. Their knowledge really enhanced our stay.