Umkhumbi Lodge is deluxe bush lodge set on a private nature reserve near the safari hub of Hluhluwe. With easy access to both bush and beach Umkhumbi is an ideal base for families and small groups to explore and experience a wide range of activities.
Nestled in the peaceful forest are six very private double units, each with two spacious en suite, air-conditioned rooms. The rooms are connected by inter-leading doors, making them perfect for families.
The high ceilings, cool floor tiles and huge windows create a light, airy feel. Sliding glass doors lead onto a generous verandah, surrounded by trees, with the odd duiker wandering past and birds flitting in and out of the bush.
Game viewing and wilderness adventures
Big-5 game drives, whale watching, turtle hatching, elephant, cheetah or crocodile encounters are all within easy reach of Umkhumbi.
Meals and relaxation
The hub of the lodge is a double storey ‘lapa’. Rendezvous on the lower deck for breakfast to discuss the day’s outing. In the evening guests can dine privately or join the Roberts family at the communal table.
Upstairs is the convivial Umkhumbi Bar, lounge area and an extended deck to enjoy sundowners and watch technicolour sunsets.See rates and factsheet
- Northern KwaZulu-Natal, less than three hours drive from Durban’s King Shaka Airport
- Located on a private nature reserve 16km outside Hluhluwe town
- Thirty minutes from Hluhluwe Imfolozi Game Reserve
- Dive resorts Sodwana, Mkhuze Game Reserve and False Bay Park are within an hour’s drive
- Just over two hours to Amangwane Kosi Bay
Who it's for
- Families, particularly those that enjoy active, adventurous, outdoor pursuits and love exploring independently.
- Repeat visitors especially those seeking a genuine South African experience, rather than a hotel.
- Groups – Ideal for schools and colleges
- Perfect for a father & son adventure escape.
- Birders, divers, photographers
- Walking trails, birding, macro-photograph
- Kids can do evening bush walks to look for velvet geckos and bushbabies
- ‘big five’ game viewing, sport and leisure fishing
- Boating, kayaking, horse-riding, cultural encounters, scenic flights
- Diving, snorkelling, seasonal turtle tracking and whale watching
- The small swimming pool is a favourite hang-out
Good combined with...
- Umkhumbi is ideally located to explore the region which has so much to offer. Great hospitality, most comfortable beds we have slept in for a long time! Excellent food and a cold beer at the end of a day exploring the regions game parks and nearby St. Lucia / Cape Vidal. Resident wildlife and natural flora compliment the units. If you are anything like me who only sleeps in a room and is more interested in the activities the region has to offer, then the accommodation will be more than satisfactory. To summarize....quality accommodation in the right place and the right price....pure value for money. Go see for yourself.~ RhodieBass, Pretoria (TripAdvisor)